A 16 year old boy who developed tremorogenic toxic encephalopathy as a result of inhalation and/or ingestion of mouldy silage containing aspergillus fumigatus, flavus and clavitus is reported from Halifax, Nova Scotia and Kingston, Ontario, Canada. Malaise, fatigue and headache were followed by fever, chills and vomiting. On recovery from these symptoms the boy had progressive dullness of mentation, an incapacitating tremor and rigidity. He was disorientated, his fund of knowledge was reduced and he could not add 2 digit numbers. The trembling and encephalopathy resolved after 7 days and his recovery has appeared to be complete. [1]

COMMENT. Reye’s syndrome has been attributed to the ingestion of aflatoxins, a form of naturally occurring mycotoxin found on corn [2]. Other foods sometimes contaminated by the aspergillus flavus and aflatoxins include peanuts, rice, cereals, soybeans and peas. Corn produced in southeastern United States has contained more than 20-100 ppb aflatoxin in 30% of samples tested. The tremorogenic mycotoxins induce rye grass staggers and bermuda grass tremors in sheep and cattle, but more commonly the aflatoxins are known for their effects on the liver and kidneys of animals and humans.